A trial balance is a summary of all ledger balances, and helps in checking whether the transactions are correct and balanced. If journal entries are error-free and posted correctly to the general ledger, the total of all debit balances should be equal the total of all credit balances. You can view this report in browser .
Note : By default, the Trial Balance report will be generated as on the date of the last voucher entry. You can change the date to view the report for the required period.
On this page
Configuration options in Trial Balance
Receipt Notes in Trial Balance
Group-wise Trial Balance in detailed mode
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Trial Balance . The Trial Balance appears as shown below:
2. Press F12 to configure the Trial Balance , as required.
Note: As per accounting principles, the Trial Balance does not display the closing stock.
3. Press Ctrl+A to accept.
Note: While providing the opening balance in ledgers, equivalent contrary balance will appear as Difference in opening balances in order to tally the assets and liabilities, or debit and credit balances. The entry passed for the difference will affect the closing balance, but the Trial Balance will still display the difference in the amount. To balance the difference in the opening balance, you need to adjust it with the opening balance of another ledger.
For example , if the Difference in opening balances is Rs. 5000/- on the debit side, adjust this with Rs 5000/- of credit in the opening balance of another ledger.
The Trial Balance shows the flow of the accounts from the opening balance to the effect of transactions on the closing balance.
● Press F12 to configure. The Configuration screen appears as shown below:
After the configurations have been set, the Trial Balance appears as shown below:
When a receipt note transaction is entered with a tracking number, it affects the Trial Balance .
● Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Trial Balance > F5: Ledger-wise . The Trial Balance report appears as shown below:
The values of Purchase Accounts (Bills to come) is displayed in the Debit field.
The values of Purchase Bills to Come is displayed in the Credit field.
The receipt note transaction does not affect ledger accounts, when it is entered without tracking number. It is an inventory transaction, hence Trial Balance is not affected . There will be increase in the stock quantity and stock value.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Trial Balance > F5 : Ledger-wise > F5 : Grouped > F1 : Detailed .
2. Click F12 : Configure .
3. Set Expand all levels in Detailed Format? to Yes . The group wise Trial Balance appears.
4. To view the ledger details of the Sundry Creditors in detailed mode:
o Select Sundry Creditors field.
o Press Shift + Enter .
The group wise Trial Balance in detailed mode appears as shown below:
o In Sundry Creditors group, the value of stock for which the receipt note is entered, but the purchase voucher is not yet accounted, is displayed as Purchase Bills to Come under Credit .
o In Purchase Accounts group, the value of stock for which the receipt note is entered, but the purchase voucher is not yet accounted, is displayed as Purchase Bills to Come under Debit .
Note: In order to view the ledger details of the Sundry Creditors in detailed mode,
1. Go to F12 : Configure in group masters.
2. Set Group behaves like a Sub-ledger to No.
'Trial Balance' has been shared with