Cheques are still the most preferred payment instrument across businesses. Easy management of this form of payment adds significant value in day to day operations, and hence, effective Cheque Management system is essential in any business. You can view and search for the details of your cheques, along with setting cheque ranges and tracking cheque statuses - all from the Cheque Register report. Also, find details of post-dated cheques and cheques issued in a different period ( out of period ), as per your business needs.
Tally.ERP 9 provides effective cheque management systems by allowing creation of multiple cheque books with unique ranges for every bank in Bank Ledger creation and Cheque Register. It also allows use to keep track of post-dated cheques .
Go to Gateway of Tally > Banking > Cheque Register to view the Cheque Register report.
Get a consolidated view of all your cheques from the default bank-wise screen of the Cheque Register report.
● Available Cheques - View the cheques available if you have set a cheque range while creating your bank ledger.
o Alternatively, to set a cheque range, click B: Alter Chq Book > Cheque Book Management .
● Unreconciled and Reconciled - Drill down into these columns to view the cheque details, including the related payment details.
● Blank and Cancelled - Drill down to view details of all your blank and cancelled cheques.
o Issue a blank cheque to your party from this report. Click here to know how.
o Cancel an available cheque or a cheque that is already issued. Click here to know how.
Note: Press Alt + F2 (or click F2: Period ) to change the period for which you want to view the cheque details.
● Out of Period : Displays the number of cheques that do not belong to the current period chosen. The cheques may be
o I ssued in the previous financial year
o Post dated and not part of the current financial year
View cheques based on the different cheque ranges you have set, depending on the business requirements.
For example, you can set cheque ranges for cheques to be issued from different departments or for cheques to be issued to different parties.
● Drill down from the Cheque Register report to view all the cheque ranges in the Cheque Range Register screen.
o Further drill down to each cheque range to view the cheque details.
o Click F4: Bank to toggle between banks, and view the cheque range set for the selected bank. Click C: Cheque Range to toggle between different cheque ranges.
o Not in range - Drill down to view details of the cheques that are issued but not set as part of any cheque range.
● Click F6: View All and select the status for which you want to view the cheque details on a single screen.
● Click F5: Status-wise to view the list of cheques displayed under different statuses on a single screen.
Cheque Register also enables you to effectively manage your cheques and do a few other business activities quickly.
● You can use a cheque from this report directly in a payment transaction.
1. Go to Cheque Register > Cheque Range Register > Instrument wise .
2. Press Spacebar to select a cheque, and then click C : Create Voucher to record your payment.
● You can filter and search for a cheque quickly by using the cheque number, bank name, or party name.
o Click S : Quick Search and enter a matching bank name, cheque number, or instrument number.
● You can set a range for cheques that are issued but not part of any cheque range. Count of such cheques is displayed as Not in range .
1. Open the bank ledger used for the cheque not in the range and set the cheque range .
2. Click R: Refresh Range in Cheque Register to update the cheque range on this report.
● You can reconcile your cheques either cheque-range-wise or bank-wise.
o In the Bank-wise Register screen, select the bank, and click F5: Reconcile to reconcile the unreconciled cheques in that bank.
o In the Cheque Range Register screen, select the cheque range, and click F5: Reconcile to reconcile the unreconciled cheques in that range.
● From this report, you can choose to exclude cheques that do not belong to any cheque range.
o Click F12: Configure and set Include Not in Range Cheques to No . Next time you go to the Cheque Register report, you will not view cheques that are not part of the cheque range.
● You can choose to see only those cheque books that are not completely used yet and ignore completed cheque books.
o Click F12: Configure and enable the Ignore the Completed Cheque Ranges? option. The Cheque Register report will display only cheque ranges that are not used.