It is a good practice to take back up of your data at regular intervals to avoid any loss to data. Tally.ERP 9 provides you a facility to take back up of your data and restore as and when required.
On this page
Taking a backup of your data at regular intervals helps retrieve your backed up data when your existing data is lost. Using Tally.ERP 9, you can easily take a backup of your company data any time and restore it when you need.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > F3 : Cmp Info > Backup to view the Backup Companies on Disk screen.
2. Source - The folder path where your company data is stored. By default, the folder path of your existing company data is displayed here.
♦ If your company uses Tally.Server 9 to maintain data, backup has to be taken from the server data location. Click S : Server Data Loc in the Backup Companies on Disk screen, and select the server location as Source .
♦ If the administrator has enabled Security Control , provide authorised Tally.NET credentials to access the List of Tally.Server Data Locations .
3. Destination - The folder path where the data backup has to be stored. You can store the backup locally on your computer, on any external storage device, or on a storage space on the network.
4. Select the required company from the List of Companies . Select All items to back up data of all the companies.
5. Press Ctrl+A to initiate the backup process.
The backup file is stored in the destination folder as TBK900_10000.001 . Data backup taken using versions prior to Release 6.0 used to store the data in TBK900.001 format.
Note: If you are using Tally.ERP 9 Release 5.x or earlier to restore the backup file (for example, TBK900_10000.001 ), first rename this file to TBK900.001 and then restore.
You can restore the data of companies for which you haven taken a backup. When your current company data is lost or corrupted, you can restore your last backed up data using the Restore option in Tally.ERP 9.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > F3 : Cmp Info > Restore to view the Restore Companies screen.
2. Destination - The folder path where your company data is to be restored. Do not restore backup data in the folder where your company data exists, since it may overwrite the existing data.
3. Source - The folder path where the backup file is stored. You can restore data stored locally on your computer, on any external storage device, or on a storage space on the network.
4. Select the required companies from the List of Companies . Select All items to restore data of all companies.
Note: Data backup taken using versions prior to Release 6.0 used to store the data in TBK900.001 format. Therefore, if you are using Tally.ERP 9 Release 5.x or earlier to restore the backup file (for example, TBK900_04557.001 ), first rename the backup file in the destination folder to TBK900.001 and then restore.
5. Press Ctrl+A to restore the data backup.
Auto Backup Status displays the list of companies whose data is backed up at a common location and the number of entries pending for backup from each company. This report also displays the path of backup and the number of companies off-line. On completing the auto backup the status is set to complete.
● From Gateway of Tally > F3: Company Info > U : Auto Backup Status
The Auto Backup Status screen appears as shown below:
You can backup your data in the folder format and restore the same in Tally.ERP 9.
1. On your computer, go to the location where company data is stored.
2. Copy the Data folder and paste it in a different local disk or an external drive.
You can also copy the folder of a particular company, as shown below:
1. Go to the location where the data was backed up.
2. Press Alt+D or click the address bar. The location will be highlighted in blue.
3. Press Ctrl+C to copy the path.
4. Open Tally.ERP 9 and select the company.
5. Press Ctrl+Alt+V to paste the location. The companies will be listed as shown below:
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > F12 > Data Configuration .
2. Enter the data path in Location of data files .
3. Press Ctrl+A to accept.
Similarly, you can also restore the data of a particular company in the folder format.
This message is displayed if the data that you are backing up is damaged.
1. Open the Tally.ERP 9 data folder, and copy the company folder to a different location. For example, if your data folder is D:\Tally.ERP 9\data\10001, copy 10001 to a different location.
2. In the Tally.ERP 9 data folder, open the company folder, and compare the size of the files Company.900 and CmpSave.900 .
3. If there is a difference in the size, delete Company.900 then take a copy of CmpSave.900 in the same folder and rename CmpSave - Copy.900 as Company.900 as below:
4. Rewrite the data. If the error Unable to backup is displayed when,
● You are trying to upgrade to Release 6.0.2 from a release prior to Release 6.0, then rewrite the data in the previous release of Tally.ERP 9. For example, if you are trying to upgrade from Release 4.93, then rewrite the data in Release 4.93 and continue to upgrade. To rewrite the data in the older release, check if you have the older release in the installation folder or download it from the Tally Solutions Website .
● Taking a regular backup when working with Release 6.0.2, then rewrite the data in the same release.
1. In Tally.ERP 9, in the Company Info screen press Ctrl + Alt + R and select the company for which the backup failed. Select Yes as shown below:
2. You will be prompted to back up your data before rewriting. Select No as shown below:
Now, you can back up your company data.