A debit note is created to against the original invoice to record the purchase returns
To record a debit note for purchase return of taxable goods
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Vouchers > Crl+F9.
2. Enter the reference number in the Ref. field.
3. Select the supplier ledger in the Party’s A/c Name field.
4. Enter the required details in Party Details screen.
5. Select the common purchase ledger.
To create a common purchase ledger
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Info. > Ledgers > Create.
2. Enter Name of the purchase ledger.
3. Set Is VAT/CST Applicable? to Applicable.
4. Ensure that Set/Alter VAT Details? is set to No.
6. Select the required taxable stock items.
7. Enter the returned Quantity and Rate. The amount is automatically displayed in the Amount field.
8. Select the common VAT ledger.
Ledger must be grouped under Duties & Taxes in which the options:
● Type of duty/tax is set to VAT.
● Percentage of Calculation (eg 5)? is set to 0.
9. Set the option Provide VAT Details? to Yes.
o Select the Nature of Return as:
Not Applicable to account for purchase returns.
Change in Consideration to account for price difference.
Receipt of Credit Notes From Seller to account of receipt of credit note from seller. The Statutory Details screen appears as shown below:
o Press Enter after selecting the Nature of Return.
The debit note appears as shown below:
10. Press Enter to save.
'Recording Purchase Returns (Puducherry)' has been shared with