To keep track of items returned after making a purchase, you can create debit notes for taxable goods. The debit note for returned items can be recorded by using the Ctrl+F9: Debit Note option in Tally.ERP 9.
To create a debit note for taxable goods
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Vouchers > Crl+F9: Debit Note.
2. Enter the Original Invoice Number and Date of the purchase invoice against which the debit note is recorded.
3. Select the required Party’s A/c Name from the List of Ledger Accounts.
4. Enter the required details in Party Details screen.
5. Select the common purchase ledger.
6. Select the required taxable stock items.
7. Enter the Quantity and Rate.
8. Enter the original price of the purchase in Original sale value.
9. Select the required common VAT ledger.
Ledger must be grouped under Duties & Taxes in which the options:
o Type of duty/tax is set to VAT.
o Percentage of Calculation is set to zero.
10. Select the required surcharge ledger.
11. Select No to Provide VAT Details?
The debit note screen appears as shown below:
12. Press Enter to save.
'Recording Purchase Returns (Haryana)' has been shared with