Import Data in TallyPrime
With TallyPrime, you can not only maintain your business data, but also easily import the masters and transactions from anywhere in the product. You can import the data from the screen in which you are working, without moving out of your ongoing work.
The company features that were enabled while exporting the data should be enabled in the company in which the data is imported. Let us consider that you want to import masters created in National Enterprises (Bangalore) to a new company – National Enterprises (Chennai). The options Maintain stock categories and Maintain batch-wise details must have been abled in National Enterprises (Bangalore) before exporting the masters. To import masters into National Enterprises (Chennai), you need to ensure that both the options Maintain stock categories and Maintain batch-wise details are enabled in National Enterprises (Chennai) before importing.
- Press Alt+O (Import) > Masters.
- Enter the name of the .xml file to be imported, if the file is located in the TallyPrime application folder.
Note: By default, the export location is the TallyPrime installation folder, which is also the default import location. Therefore, it is not required to specify the file path during import. If the path is other than the installation folder, then you must specify the exact location path, for example, C:\Export_Files\XML\Master.xml or C:\Export_Files\XML\DayBook.xml.
- In Behaviour of import if master already exists, select Combine Opening Balances to import the data of different branches and consolidate the opening balances. You can also select this option when the opening balances of existing masters are zero and need to be overwritten by the balances in the data being imported.
- Press Enter to import.
Go to Chart of Accounts to view all the masters that have been imported. You can also open the file Tally.imp located in the TallyPrime installation folder to view the import log.
Vouchers exported in the XML format can be imported into TallyPrime using the Import Vouchers option. You can import vouchers from one company to another in TallyPrime. Some of the scenarios are:
- Importing data from third-party applications
- Migrating to a later release
- Data corruption/loss
To import transactions,
- Press Alt+O (Import) > Transactions.
- Enter the name of the .xml file to be imported, as shown below:
Note: By default, the export location is the TallyPrime installation folder, which is also the default import location. Therefore, it is not required to specify the file path during import. If the path is other than the installation folder, you must specify the exact location path, for example, C:\Export_Files\XML\Master.xml or C:\Export_Files\XML\DayBook.xml
- Press Enter to import.
Note: You can open the file Tally.imp located in the TallyPrime installation folder to view the imported vouchers.
Import Bank Statement
You can update your Bank Reconciliation report by importing bank statements to TallyPrime in a matter of seconds.
To import a bank statement, press Alt+O (Import) > Bank Details.
If you want to know how to import a bank statement for automatic bank reconciliation, then click here.
Configure for Import
TallyPrime provides many configuration options that you can enable or disable to suit your business needs.
- Press Alt+O (Import) > Configuration.
- Location of Import/Export Files – set the folder path to save the exported or imported file.
- Ignore errors during import – This option will ignore the errors that may occur during import, and continue to import. However, errors while importing data will be logged into the Tally.imp file that is generated in the TallyPrime folder.
- Overwrite vouchers when a voucher with same GUID exists – If a voucher is exported and imported back to the same company, a duplicate voucher gets created when this option is enabled. Set it to No to overwrite the duplicate vouchers. If the vouchers are exported from one company and imported in a different company, then the vouchers will be overridden irrespective of the option being enabled or disabled.