What is GSTR-2B and Key Highlights
GSTR-2B is an auto-populated return containing information of your B2B purchases. It is generated for you every month by GSTN based on the invoices filed in the returns by your suppliers (through GSTR-1/5/6).
Now that you know what is GSTR-2B, here are the details of the concept and key highlights of GSTR-2B returns that you should know:
- It is generated on a fixed date, that is 12th of the subsequent month, as the suppliers would have filed their GSTR-1 by 11th.
- Difference between GSTR-2A and GSTR-2B:
- While the existing GSTR-2A return provides real-time visibility of data uploaded by the supplier, it provides tentative information. As returns may or may not have been filed, and such invoices could also get modified/deleted.
- GSTR-2A is dynamic, and keeps changing as and when any supplier uploads transactions for older periods. Whereas GSTR-2B is based on filed returns and therefore static.
- It is completely based on the filed returns of GSTR-1/5/6. Consider the following examples:
- The GSTR-2B of July 2020 is generated on 12th August 2020, based on all GSTR-1/5/6 filed by suppliers by 11th August (ISD credit from GSTR-6).
- If the supplier files quarterly return of GSTR-1, it will reflect in the buyer’s GSTR-2B only at the end of the quarter. For example, the supplier will file GSTR-1 for AMJ-2020 quarter on 18th. This will reflect in the GSTR-2B of July, generated on 12th August.
- Any returns filed after 12th August 2020 by suppliers will be part of GSTR-2B of August, generated on 12th.
- The input tax credit in the report is categorised as:
- Available ITC.
- Unavailable ITC. This is only when the:
- Place of Supply state is different from buyer’s state.
- Invoice is old, as per the 18-month rule.
- It represents the data related to available ITC for claim, reverse charge ITC for both liability and input credit, ISD credit, IMPG credit, reversal of unavailable ITC, and so on. It also maps these details against the respective tables of GSTR-3B.
- The report can be downloaded in pdf/Excel/JSON formats from portal or can be viewed online in GSTN website.
- As a buyer, it is prudent to compare/reconcile GSTR-2B with data as per books, and avail ITC in GSTR-3B based on this.
- In the coming months, data from GSTR-2B will be used by GSTN to auto-populate ITC in GSTR-3B.