Upgrading to Tally.ERP 9 Release 6 is fairly simple. We urge you to go through the FAQ section before you upgrade to Release 6!
● Renew your TSS Subscription (Tally.ERP 9 users). Users with a valid TSS Subscription will be able to use the licensed version of Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.
● Buy an upgrade (Tally 9 and lower version users) to start using the licensed version of Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.
● Download and install Tally.ERP 9 Release 6. Users currently using any version of Tally.ERP 9 and having a valid TSS Subscription can directly upgrade to Release 6.
Note: Be sure to backup your current data in a different location using Gateway of Tally > Alt + F3 > Backup. To view your backed up data, restore your backup to a different folder using Gateway of Tally > Alt + F3 > Restore.
After upgrading to Release 6, you can choose to start working with Tally.ERP 9 in one of the following ways:
Note: The options below are applicable for all these versions of Tally.ERP 9 - Tally 8.1, Tally 9, Tally.ERP 9 Release 1.0 to Tally.ERP 9 Release 5.5.8.
This is the simplest option. Open your company in Tally.ERP 9 Release 6 and follow on screen instructions. Once the data is converted, get started with GST.
Open your company in Tally.ERP 9 Release 6 and follow on screen instructions. Then, split your company.
● Go to Company Info. > Create Company. Create all required masters afresh.
● Export masters from your company in the older version of Tally.ERP 9 with the closing balances as on 30th June. In the new company in Release 6, import these masters. Once the masters are imported, you can get started with GST.
Enjoy your GST journey with Tally.ERP 9!
1. I decided to create a new company starting July 1st 2017 for my GST transactions. What happens to my balance sheet?
Create a group company and include the old company and the new company to view a consolidated balance sheet.
3. How do I migrate a group company that is created in Tally 7.2 to Tally.ERP 9?
A group company created in Tally 7.2 cannot be opened directly in Tally.ERP 9. We recommend that you open individual companies in Tally.ERP 9 (migrate data from Tally 7.2 before opening in Release 6), and then group them together once again at the end. Always remember to backup and restore at a different location.
4. I am using Tally 8.1 . Can I continue to use these versions after moving to Release 6? Can my licenses co-exist?
No, the licenses for Tally 8.1 and Tally 9 will not co-exist with Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.
5. I want to move from Release 4.93 to Release 6, but I need to file my VAT returns on July 20th. What do I do? How can I handle this in 6?
Gateway of Tally > Display > Statutory Reports > VAT > open the required VAT form.
Resolve all the errors in the Summary of Exceptions. Once all these are resolved, you can directly file your VAT returns from Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.
Similarly, when you start using Tally.ERP 9 for GST transactions, Tally.ERP 9 will help you ensure that all your information is accurate and complete. Use this powerful feature to get ready for GST.
However, if you do not want to resolve these uncertain transactions in Release 6, you can follow the steps below:
1. Install Tally.ERP 9 Release 6 and create a new company, say GSTtrial.
2. Ensure that Tally.ERP 9 Release 4.93 coexists with Release 6. Say your current company name is Palak Enterprises. Continue to record transactions in Palak Enterprises till you are ready to file your returns.
4. Prepare for GST by setting up required masters, ledgers, and tax rates in GSTtrial in Release 6.
5. On July 1st, open Palak Enterprises in Release 6.
6. Export all the GST masters from GSTtrial, and import into Palak Enterprises in Release 6.
7. Start your GST billing in Palak Enterprises in Release 6.
8. Easily file your returns from Palak Enterprises in Release 4.93 on the required date since this data is untouched.
This will ensure that your filing is accurate, and all the data and masters have been moved cleanly into Release 6.
5. Do I need to create different masters for GST? How can I manage the split between GST and VAT?
With Tally.ERP 9, it is pretty easy to manage two different tax regimes. You can create a whole new set of masters, voucher types, tax ledgers (Central Tax, State/UT Tax, Integrated Tax), and start cleanly with GST.
6. I am using Tally 9 and I have enabled Dealer Excise. Should I follow different steps for moving to Release 6?
Yes. See the topic Migrating Dealer Excise Data.
7. What happens to my synchronisation setup?
Everything will work as usual as long as you ensure that Tally.ERP 9 has been upgraded to Tally.ERP 9 Release 6 at all your locations.
8. I want to view my earlier statutory data in my older product release and GST related data in the latest release. How do I do this?
Once you have upgraded to the latest release, you can view and access all your statutory data in this release. However, if you want to view your earlier statutory data using your old product version:
1. Make a copy of your company data in the folder where you have installed the latest Tally.ERP 9 release.
2. Configure your existing license for the latest release.
3. Continue to access your earlier statutory data using the older release and use the copied data in the latest release to create your GST-related transactions.
9. My existing customisation fails in Tally.ERP 9 Release 6. What do I do?
Ensure that the customisation or Account TDL used in Tally.ERP 9 is compatible with Release 6. If you find that your customisation or Account TDL is not compatible with Release 6,
● Contact your partner to upgrade the solutions to Release 6.
● Disable the customisations and proceed until you get the customisations made compatible with the release.
To disable the solution
For local TDL/TCP
1. Go to F12: Configure > Product & Features.
2. Click F4: Manage Local TDL.
3. Set No to the option Set TDL Files on startup, or remove the attached TDL or TCP from the TDL Configuration window.
For account TDL/Addon
1. Login to Control Centre.
2. Identify the TDL tagged to the Account ID.
3. Disable the TDL and update the license.
Your email with the article link has been sent.