Stock Items are mainly purchased and sold on the basis of quantity. The quantity in turn is measured by units. In such cases, it is necessary to create the Unit of Measure. The Units of Measure can either be simple or compound. Examples of simple units are: nos., metres, kilograms, pieces etc.
On this page
Simple Units of Measure
Compound Unit of Measure
Alter Units of Measure
Display Units of Measure
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Inventory Info > Units of Measure > Create . The Unit Creation screen is displayed as shown below:
This field will show the Type of Units.
Simple units are nos, pcs , and so on. Compound unit is a combination of two simple units.
By default Tally.ERP 9 will show the Simple unit for creating the unit of measure.
You can select the Compound Units by clicking on that field or by using SHIFT+TAB [cursor will go to the previous field].
2. Define the Symbol of the unit, for example, Nos. This symbol is used in all displays and printouts.
3. Specify the Formal Name of the symbol, for example, Numbers. This formal name is useful during the consolidation of data of different companies, where the symbols might be the same but are assigned to different units. The formal name will be used to match them.
4. In this field you can specify the Number decimal places for the Units from 0 to 4. This field is useful for Units measured in fractions.
For example, Kilogram unit. 1.255 Kgs, here 1 is for Kg and fraction 255 is for gram. For this unit, number of decimal places required is 3
A Compound Unit is a relation between two Simple Units. Hence, before you create a Compound Unit, ensure that you have already created two Simple Units.
For example, To Create Compound unit – Doz (Dozen) of 12 Nos (Numbers), you have to create two simple units, Doz (Dozen) and Nos (Numbers) and set the conversion factor as 12.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Inventory Info > Units of Measure > Create. The Unit Creation screen is displayed as shown. Now Click on Type field or Press SHIFT + TAB or Press Backspace Key.
2. Select Compound from the Types of Units and press Enter. The Conversion field will be displayed for creating Compound unit.
3. Select the First unit from the Units List. In the above example, Dozen will be the First Unit.
4. Specify the Conversion Factor. In the above example, Conversion factor will be 12.
5. Specify the Second Unit from the Units List. In the above example, Number will be the Second Unit. This unit is also called Tail Unit.
6. Use CTRL + A or Accept the Screen for Saving of Compound Unit Creation.
You can alter the units of measurement created in Tally.ERP 9.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Inventory Info. > Units of Measure > Alter .
2. Select the Name of Unit you want to alter from the Units list. The Unit Alteration screen appears as shown below:
3. Make the necessary changes.
4. Press Ctrl+A to accept.
You can delete a unit of measure by pressing Alt+D . However, a unit of measure that is part of a compound measure cannot be deleted without deleting the compound measure first.
You can display the existing Units of Measure, since it is only display Tally.ERP 9 does not allow you to alter any information in display mode.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Inventory Info. > Units of Measure > Display.
2. Select the Unit of Measure you would like to view from the Units list. You can select a compound unit or a simple unit from the list. The Unit Display screen is displayed as shown below:
Note: In display mode it is not possible to make any changes.